Our mission is to enrich both the local and wider community by researching, conserving, and sharing the history of our area. (2020)
Our Archives have grown and developed since our founding in 1962. We specialize in historical papers documents of particular interest to the historical area known in 1962 as Richmond County. These documents include paper records (letters, diaries, journals, and other unpublished materials); photographs and other visual records; maps, plans, and architectural records; sound recordings and oral history tapes; printed material (local newspapers, books); and growing collection of digitally stored data.
We are currently updating our Archives to respond to the digital era and to ensure the safe preservation of our multimedia materials.
These documents are examples drawn from our archives. As such, the information contained therein is to be understood as accurate in the context of the time in which they were written and are not reflections of today’s economic or demographic realities.
- Craig’s Road
- Richmond County Agricultural Society
- 150th Anniversaries for Melbourne, Cleveland and Ulverton Townships. 1855-2005
- History of Cleveland Township
- English Theme
- The Early Local History of the Grand Trunk Railway, Dr. John Hayes, 1909
- Mayors of Melbourne Township 1855 – 2014
- Secretary Treasurers of Melbourne Township 1855 – 2014
- Some Protestant Schools in Richmond County and Vicinity
- Town of Richmond History
- Drummondville High School Building to be Demolished
- ASBESTOSPO BULLETIN
- EARLY POSTAL SYSTEM
General references for local history include listings for: Richmond,Danville, Melbourne, South Durham, Ulverton, Greenlay, Brompton, Windsor,St. Cyr, Denison’s Mills, Kingsey, Trenholmville, L’Avenir, Asbestos, Kingsbury,Kirkdale, Shipton, Cleveland.
Family History researchers will find many sources for information,which include:
- Cemetery indexes
- Index of individual names in local cemeteries.
- Census Records: Township of Melbourne 1851, Township of Ely 1861, Countyof Drummond(Durham) 1861, Township of Shipton 1851, Township of Kingsey1861.
- Land Grant Indexes
- Books of Birth, Marriages,Deaths for District of St. Francis 1815-1879
- Individual family histories
- Computer listings of genealogy
- Index of the Annals of Richmond County & Vicinity, Vol. 1 & 2 rev.ed.1998
- Legal Documents-photocopies
Original newspapers, which number in excess of 600, date from 1864-1928.These include:
- Richmond Guardian
- Richmond Times-Guardian
- Times & County Record
- Richmond News & District of St. Francis Advocate
- Danville Courier
- Danville Times
- Danville Union
- Windsor Times
Photographs & Maps
Richmond County Historical Society’s collection of local area photographsand postcards includes: schools, churches, industry, mercantile, mining, agriculture,railway, portraits and social life.
A wide assortment of maps of the local areas is available.
Rail enthusiasts and historians will find information and photographsfor the following historic railways:
- Orford Mountain Railway
- Grand Trunk Railway
- Asbestos & Danville Railway
The archives house collections of papers/ photographs donated by localfamilies. Included among these are:
- Annett Collection
- Christine Aspinall Collection
- Boast Collection
- Booth Collection
- Day Collection
- Dickson Collection
- Doyle Collection
- Grainger Collection
- Gilchrist Collection
- Harkom Collection
- Hayes Collection
- Horan Collection
- Ignatieff Collection
- Manning Collection
- McAdams Collection
- Paige Collection
- Pray Collection
- St. Cyr Collection
- Watters/Sims Collection